11/18/2008

What to do with old meds?


Unwanted medications can contaminate drinking water. (Photo courtesy NOAA)

A friend of mine asked this question and I did not have an answer. There have been very few times when I have needed prescription medication, so this is an issue that I have not had to consider. Then today I came across an article on the Sundance Channel website.

"Many people may not be aware that improperly disposing of prescription or over-the-counter drugs, such as flushing them down the toilet, contributes to pharmaceuticals found in our waterways," said Mayor Richard Daley (of Chicago), announcing the new drop boxes on November 1.
– The Sundance Channel
This is great for Chicago - but what about everywhere else?
I did a little poking around on google and found an interesting article on medicinenet.com. Apparently there are studies going on to determine the effects of Prozac on fish...

Wisegeek.com recommends you call your pharmacist. They often have take-back programs or will know of how you can dispose of them.

I called the Massachusetts College of Pharmacy to see what they recommend but after speaking with two people that had no idea, leaving a message and not getting a call back. I suggest you call your local pharmacy to get the answer.

As my friend Aniko says, "I don't want to find out my old medicine is making fish grow three eyes." Or being treated for a depression that they did not know they had.


0 comments: