8/15/2008

Planet Tran


Last week I traveled to Colorado Springs. It was my first time traveling alone and had an early flight. I wanted to make sure I would reach the airport on time and have everything under control. My past experiences with cabs haven't been the greatest. Once my cab arrived late and nearly made me lose my flight. On another occasion my cab showed up in an SUV and had another passenger inside. Since this was my first time traveling alone I didn't want to anything to go wrong, I wanted to go with a vehicle that was reliable and eco-friendly (if there was such a thing) and there was...it's called Planet Tran!



Planet Tran uses Toyota Prius Gas Electric Hybrid vehicles as taxis. These cars rely on battery power when running at low speed or when the car is stopped for up to 15 minutes. Planet Tran's mission is to start a livery service based exclusively on the Hybrid electric gas Toyota Prius. With Oil prices on the rise these vehicles are the way to go. Planet Tran's vision is "an urban transportation infrastructure that utilizes the most efficient transportation technology available." If a cab drives on average 50.00 miles a year a driver could save $3.850 in gasoline costs per year by switing to a hybrid vehicle.

These fuel efficient cars look slick and are eco-friendly. The driver (Matt) was punctual to the minute, he was standing outside the car, greeted me, carried my luggage to the trunk, opened the door for me and was very courteous the entire drive to the airport. Apparently Planet Tran is known for having drivers that are pleasant and knowledgeable. Best of all their rates are reasonable considering the cost of the car. A Ford Crown Victoria costs $7,000-$10,000 while a Prius ranges between $21,500-$26,000.

A trip from Harvard Square to Logan Airport cost me $40, which is $5-$10 more than a regular cab that consumes more gas and carbon emissions. Think about this next time you need a ride to the airport.

Sustainably Yours
Nathalie Zegarra

0 comments: