5/13/2008

It's bike week in Boston

Boston is embracing the bike - and it is about time. (Above photo is from my bike commute to work yesterday. This is the traffic at Fresh Pond. I love riding past cars on my old three speed.)

I have never lived in such a car centered urban environment and I have lived in Washington DC, Budapest, Switzerland, NY NY and Portsmouth NH. Boston is the worst. I did not even need a car in any of the other cities. But when I moved to Boston it was a real challenge to go on job interviews in Watertown, Waltham, Boston and Cambridge without a car. The US in general makes it tough to live without a car, but that is a whole topic of it's own for another day.

Let's get back to the warm-and-fuzzy bike week celebrations. You can check out the Mass Bike Coalition site to keep up-to-date with all things bike in Massachusetts. I recommend becoming a member and getting on their mailing list. That is how I heard about the pancake breakfast this morning at Broadway Bikes. Unfortunately I could not attend the breakfast. My dog Lucy demanded that it was her turn to join me at work, so I took the bus. But tomorrow I bike!

Definitely read today's article in the Globe - you have to see Mayor Menino in his track suit riding with all the other enthusiasts. It really is a sight to behold. He bought a Trek last year and has been focused on making Boston a bike friendly city every since. We love that!

"In July, the city plans to unveil its first designated bike lanes, on Commonwealth Avenue between the Boston University Bridge and Kenmore Square. The city may also add bike lanes to Massachusetts Avenue between Albany Street and Huntington Avenue, Tremont Street along Boston Common, and on American Legion Highway, which runs past Franklin Park.

By year's end, officials plan to install 250 bike racks across the city and 750 over the next three years."


Wohooo! Beat traffic - get in shape - arrive to work in a great mood -
GET ON A BIKE!

I have been trying to bike to work 1-3 days a week. I will admit, I am a fair weather bicycle commuter. I don't like to arrive to work with a mud stripe down my back. And Lucy, my dog, likes to accompany me to work at least 2-3 days a week. So I split my days between the bike and the bus/dog. But one day, my handy husband Ted will make a customized dog trailer for me so that Lucy can come to the office when I bike to work. Ahhhh... that will be sweet and I will be in great shape.

0 comments: